UNITE’s Global Summit: Virtual 2020 will bring together political leaders and key stakeholders from across the world to reaffirm international co-operation towards the mission of ending the global threat of infectious diseases.
Lisbon, Portugal and Berlin, Germany, 26 August 2020 – The partnership between UNITE Global Network of Parliamentarians and GHA – German Health Alliance will deepen at the upcoming UNITE Global Summit: Virtual 2020. GHA will support the event by joining forces with world class leaders for two days of immersive learning on September 7-8.
The virtual summit aims to commit, inspire, and empower policymakers towards the achievement of the UN SDGs over the next decade, while building a roadmap on clear policy actions to eliminate the threat posed by communicable diseases. The Summit will conclude with parliamentarians and UNITE affiliate partners pledging their support to the UNITE 2020 Global Summit Statement – calling on governments to take action and make policy decisions that focus on ending infectious diseases as a global health threat, in the midst and aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic.
GHA – German Health Alliance is honoured to play such an important role at UNITE Global Summit: Virtual 2020, having its Chairman of the Board, Roland Göhde as moderator of the panel session on ‘How Can Innovation Aid The Global Health Response? COVID-19 and Beyond.’ on September 8, 9:30-11:00am (GMT+1).
This panel session will focus on the role of innovation in responding to the COVID-19 challenges, while discussing how policymakers can foster favourable environments for innovative and life-changing solutions.
Among the panellists are:
- Marie-Ange Saraka-Yao – Managing Director, Resource Mobilization, Private Sector Partnerships & Innovative Finance Department, GAVI
- Mauricio Cysne – Director, External Relations and Communications, UNITAID
- Christoph Benn – Director, Global Health Diplomacy, The Joep Lange Institute
Additional speakers at the Global Summit: Virtual 2020 include:
- Jens Spahn, Federal Minister of Health, Germany
- Winnie Byanyima, Executive Director, UNAIDS
- Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization
- Professor Dr Detlev Ganten, President, World Health Summit
- Jerome Kim, Director-General, International Vaccine Institute.
- Congresswoman Donna Shalala, Former Secretary of Health and Human Services, United States
- Michael Weinstein, CEO, AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF)
- Ricardo Baptista Leite MP, MD; Founder & President of UNITE Global Parliamentarians Network
The introduction of COVID-19 demonstrates the urgent need for engagement and education of policy makers to prevent future infectious disease outbreaks. Join the #UniteGlobalSummit to foster innovative solutions to ending the global burden of infectious diseases.
More information and registration details are available here: https://summit.unitenetwork.org/
UNITE is an independent, non-profit, global network of 134 members of parliament from 63 countries. UNITE is committed to ensuring that no life is limited by infectious disease through unified political advocacy. The global, non-partisan network of parliamentarians is divided into 10 Regional Chapters, each chaired by a parliamentarian leading activity in that geography. Further information is available at: https://unitenetwork.org/