GHHG: Launch of the Policy Brief on COVID-19 and Mental Health | January 25, 2022
2022 will be marked once again by the COVID-19 pandemic which continues to take a heavy toll on people’s mental health. But while global health experts agree that there is “no health without mental health,” the issue of mental health facilitation and care still tends to be overlooked by policymakers, funders, and practitioners alike. To bridge the gap between what is needed and what is actually being accomplished in the mental health field, the Hub Community on Global Mental Health has recently finalised a policy brief on the topic of COVID-19 and Mental Health. It provides concrete recommendations on how access to mental health services can be facilitated and improved. The brief comes just in time: As new COVID-19 variants emerge, people’s mental health is bound to deteriorate even further. Furthermore, the successful implementation of targets, as stated in the UN Agenda 2030, the WHO’s Comprehensive Action Plan 2013-2030, and its Triple Billion Health Targets, is at risk. A positive transformation of the system is therefore urgently needed.
On January 25, 2022, from 1:00 – 2:30 pm (CET), the Global Health Hub Germany invites you to join the virtual launch of the policy brief and the follow-up expert discussion. The discussion will focus on the possibilities and hindrances of implementing the recommendations successfully.
Moderation is shared by:
- Prof. Dr. Michael Wirsching, Co-Coordinator Hub Community on Global Mental Health; Director (Emeritus), Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
- PD Dr. Eric Hahn, Co-Coordinator Hub Community on Global Mental Health; Co-Head of the Global Mental Health Section of Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, CBF
Experts on the panel:
- Dévora Kestel, Director, Mental Health and Substance Use Department, WHO
- Lyn von Zepelin, Specialist, Nursing Management in Intensive Care, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
- UNICEF expert on Mental Health (speaker tbc)
You will have the possibility to ask questions in the chat throughout the event.